Vegan Cashew Cheese
(Great on Pizza!)
* 2/3 cup cashews (raw is best, roasted is still great, and try flavored cashews too)
* 1/2 cup water (or slightly more)
* 1/4 cup red bell pepper (raw or roasted)
* 1/4 small red onion (if you're cooking for a date, or more otherwise!)
* 1/4 cup yeast flakes
* 2 garlic cloves (see "red onion")
* 3 tbsp lemon juice
* 2 tbsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos (on the health food isle everywhere, or use lite soy sauce)
* 1 tbsp sesame oil
* 1 tsp sea salt (optional) if the cashews are unsalted
Put everything in a food processor and blend it until it's creamy. If it's too thick, add more water. If it's too watery, add more cashews. It should have a Cream of Wheat-like consistency, or just a bit thicker. For a pizza, spread it thinly over pizza sauce (it's very rich, so a little bit goes a long way), top it off with your favorite vegetables, and pop it in the oven. If the cashew cheese becomes golden-brown more than a few minutes before the pizza crust is done, cover the top of the pizza with foil.
This recipe is plenty for a medium-sized pizza. I like making larger batches and keeping leftovers in the fridge.
Cashew cheese is also great in quesadillas, toasted sandwiches, or just about any other dish that calls for cheese. Lactose intolerant? You're welcome!